[Sca-cooks] Redactions for SCA use?

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Dec 9 10:13:09 PST 2010

--On Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:02 AM -0800 David Friedman
<ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:

> My own feeling is that getting people to try cooking from the original
> recipe, with any needed hand holding, is more useful than getting them to
> cook from someone else's redaction. That's part of the point of our
> cooking workshops. It's more interesting and exciting--you may  be
> cooking something that nobody has made for the past five hundred
> years--and easier than people expect.

I think this depends on the person and the intended purpose. For some
people, working backwards from the recreation to the original is more
useful than the other way around, because it works within a more
comfortable and familiar skill (following explicit directions involving
food). Learning to work from a description (whether medieval or modern) is
a skill unto itself.

Also, if these are folks unfamiliar and wary or medieval food, using the
redactions is a good way to give them a starting point -- "here's someone
else's thoughts on this recipe, see it's not wierd at all!"...and go from
there "do you agree, or disagree with this interpretation?  Why or why not?"

toodles, margaret