[Sca-cooks] are kids taught or exposed to cooking? RE: cookbooks versus the internet

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Thu Dec 9 13:36:20 PST 2010

> The younger generation is the computer generation. I would be surprised if
> they have ever used a cookbook. I find most teachers from Human
> Environmental Sciences (HomeEc) have their students go to the web instead
> of
> a cookbook because it is easy access.
> It is easier to find what you are looking for on the web, along with
> comparing same recipe with some variations to the ingredients.
> De

My 9 year old nephew spent the day in the kitchen making pies right along
with his aunts, but in this world of box food, how many people actually
really cook from scratch anymore?  I'm still amazed at the concept of a
Semi-Homemade magazine.  I know it's probably age dependent but that's
something I learned in the 70's.  Recently I found a Thanksgiving issue of
the 1962 Family Circle magazine.  The changes in food and convenience in
just my lifetime are remarkable.

A case in point about internet recipe searching.  I made brownies last
night and the household ingestinator demanded cream cheese frosting.  I am
not a fan of the canned stuff, and I said I'd make it from scratch - it
would be better.  Then I had to produce!  I have, I suspect for this list
anyway, a modest number of cookbooks - about 100 or so.  I pulled down 6
or 7 reference works - no cream cheese frosting recipes.  Finally I had
enough messing around and used google-fu.  The first hit provided what I
wanted to know in a matter of seconds.  I am more likely to sit down and
read a cookbook cover to cover than look something up to make, so I really
appreciate photo heavy books.  I especially like books on process.

Katherine