[Sca-cooks] I bet no one's thought of this before...

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Thu Dec 23 14:21:51 PST 2010

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 22:31:44 +1030, "Claire Clarke" <angharad at adam.com.au>
wrote:

> I was going to ask what everyone is cooking for Christmas, but I thought
> that was kind of off topic. So I thought I'd ask what period dish you'd
> cook
> for Christmas? Or what you'd cook for a period Christmas?
>
> I can't go past Bourbelier de Sanglier from Le Menagier myself. Although if
> it was a proper period Christmas I suppose you would want a boar's head or
> swan.

I'm thinking of cooking payn puff. It's almost a Christmas cake, and almost
a mince pie.

BTW, about bourbelier, I just looked it up and found that the Wiktionnaire
says that it means "poitrine", which means "chest". But then Hinson's
translation of the _Menagier_ says that the bourbelier is the numble. So
exactly which part is the bourbelier? Ribs (with part of the loin), or loin,
or numbles, or what?

--
Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark