[Sca-cooks] OOP: coffee grinders

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 26 01:19:28 PST 2010

Back on Dec. 9, Katrina said:
<<< I am a coffee drinker.  I grind my coffee with a burr grinder.   Coffee drinkers understand why.>>>

Several years ago this list talked about using coffee grinders to grind spices. Sometime after that I asked for a spice grinder for Yule and got one for grinding spices. I occasionally use it for this, but usually the mortar and pestle is closer to hand.  But this is the first I've heard of two types of coffee grinders.

What is a "burr grinder" and since I'm am not a coffee drinker, although I occasionally try one just to see if I'll like it, How does a burr grinder differ and why do you think it is better for coffee beans?

<<< I have another grinder, of the 'blender blade' type, solely for grinding spices.  I'd think most any of this type would be adequate to replace a mortar and pestle. >>>

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com