[Sca-cooks] period food suggestions for pot lucks

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 07:40:03 PST 2010

You can find a picture of the chafing dish at Two Hearts
Entwined<http://www.griffindyeworks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=50_53&products_id=282>Pottery
(Huette & Hroar).  The one I have came from them.  Charcoal was put
in the bottom of the dish, and a pot or something similar placed on the
points that protrude from the top.  It really works well for Savory Toasted
Cheese.  You can explore the remainder of the site to see documented
reproductions of various types of period cooking gear as well as items used
for both serving and eating.

Most of the information I have comes from a "catalogue" from the Museum of
London.  It's not one of the usual books from that source that you see, but
rather a listing, with illustrations of items in their collections.
Informatin about the book:  London Museum Medieval Catalog 1940.  Capel St.
Mary, Ipswich, Suffolk, UK:  Anglia Publishing, 1993.*  *There are a lot of
cooking/serving/eating items there.  For cooking implements and vessels
around the time of the Norman invasion, take a good look at the Bayeux
Tapestry...there's a whole section about cooking a feast.  For later
medieval items, I used the book mentioned above, along with information from
the Scullys' "Early French Cooking", Terence Scully's "The Art of Cooking in
the Middle Ages" and descriptions from Master Chiquart (references found in
Early French Cooking).

I don't know if this helps but this is the information I have.  Mostly
northern European (England and France) as well as a smattering from Italy
(mostly Renaissance).  Sorry, I haven't run across anything specifically
Swedish.

Kiri