[Sca-cooks] knives

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 11:39:31 PST 2010

Actually, I'm informed that's no longer true.  Eskimo is being used as the
reference, according to what I hear.

Even if it is not, it is inaccurate to use Athabaskan or Inuit.  Those are
merely two TRIBES.  There's also Yupiq, Inupiaq, Aleut, and so on.

The term "Arctic Native" would be more accurate, to distinguish between,
say, Yupiq, and North American Natives, like Klinkit/Tlingit.

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Carina ZLawson-Williams <
aurorasouthern at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Please, please, please refer to Northern Aboriginal Cultures as Athapaskan
> or Inuit. Eskimo is an extremely derogitive term- the same as n*gger down
> here.
>
> that being said ulus are fabulous! great rocker movement and will go
> through any type of meat/flesh you'd like and yah its pretty impressive on
> pizza. If you have a double shafted one it is likely a shorter blade and of
> Athapaskan design, If it has a single shaft the blade will be a little
> longer and kinda pie piece shaped it is Inuit design and ideal for
> butchering/skinning as well as cooking
>

> > Speaking of knives, I have decided the ulu is the perfect implement for
> > cutting pizza.
>
> > The ulu is wonderful for all sorts of things...it's actually an Eskimo
> > version of the mezza luna! We bought one in Alaska many years ago and I
> > have used it a lot!

Ian of Oertha