[Sca-cooks] xmas dinner and loot

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 25 21:48:57 PST 2010

Christmas Eve was at moms, and was the usual Chicken Fricassee served in puff
pastry shells.  Preceded by her 'christmas star consomme' (the broth from
simmering the chickens with star pasta and some carrot disks)  Each year she
swears that it was the last time and next year will be Frankfurters and either
Potato salad or Herring Salad.

Xmas day is at my home, and I kept it simple.  Roast goose (not my best ever,
the skin was not perfect, though the meat was tender and succulent (and rich; so
good, just not great), mashed yukon gold potatoes, gravy, red cabbage (moms
version) a small plate of home pickled beets and one of home made senfgurken
(another pickle) and finally each place setting had a composed fruit salad
layered of  mandarin orange segments (tinned, sorry) pomegranate seeds, half a
kiwi - sliced, and that topped with a slice of carambola (star fruit) and a few
more pomegranate seeds sprinkled over top.

The rest of the starfruit was used to accent the burgundy cut crystal (one slice
on the lip of each flute) used to serve a well chilled spumante.

Dessert was lazy - all those storebought holiday treats of the season -
Chocolate coated gingerbread hearts, marzipan, nougat (NOT the pink stuff) and
home made turtles and Grand marnier Truffles. We never got to the Mohn-rolle,
but I will enjoy a slice for breakfast tomorrow.   The best part was sharing the
meal with family (and yes, the cats got bits, and even enjoyed gnawing on a wing
bone  - yep, SPOILED)

As for loot, nothing much foodie unless you count several gift cards to
Starbucks and one to Whole Paycheck.  I did finally get a netbook, OH and the
surprise hit of the gifts - a Wow Wee Alive Leopard Cub - yep I got a stuffed
animal that purrs, mrews, and bats his eyes.

Purrr
Gwen since I can't have a real one... Cat