[Sca-cooks] How to test something you can't eat

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 5 13:33:40 PST 2010

--- On Fri, 2/5/10, Terri Morgan <online2much at cox.net> wrote:

> Outside of having a friend come over
> and play in the kitchen with you (got
> that covered), do you have any ways that you use to test a
> recipe that you
> cannot eat? I, for example, cannot tolerate mutton or veal
> - yes, it is a
> real hardship, it smells SO good! - but think that I might
> be able to
> prepare it 'by smell' if I knew what the yummy-point was on
> the scent. At
> least, it works for stews...
>
> So, you experienced cooks, do you have ways to guide your
> solitary work in
> order to serve something your friends can eat but you
> can't?
> Hrothny
Respected friend:
   Sorry, but there's no other method than experience. You, or someone cooking with you, has to have been present when it was cooked before so you know how it should smell.
   However, the other person need not be present the day of the feast. You could make mini-versions ahead of time twice or thrice so you can go it alone when necessary.
   Me, I'd also over-cook a sample so you'll know the OMG point and not serve garbage.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

If you're doing your best, and your best isn't very good, that's life. If you aren't doing your best, _that's cheating_.