[Sca-cooks] How to test something you can't eat

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Feb 5 15:14:54 PST 2010

Your sense of smell can be pretty accurate, if you've trained it to
what you're cooking. I have a friend who is a non-drinker (recovering
alcoholic) who can get a very good idea of what a dish tastes like by
simply smelling it. Also, you can usually taste the ingredients that
you're NOT sensitive to, to gauge their relative strengths, as in
herbs that may be more or less strong with time in the bottle vs fresh
cut.

I'm pretty lucky- I can eat anything that doesn't move fast enough ;),
 and I love highly spiced food, but I've found I can be a pretty good
judge of what friends with other preferences will find good, just from
experience, even if whatever it is may be something I don't
particularly care for.