[Sca-cooks] Oatmeal was Buttered wortes/oatmeal

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 9 11:56:32 PST 2010

> The term "Irish oats" appears to be steel cut oats, from Irish-grown
> oats.  The McCann's blurb says Counties Meath & Kildare, humid
> conditions and clean water make for "fuller, plumper grains".
>
> And there's "Scottish Oats are steamed steel-cut oats that are then
> ground by stones into an oat meal." (Wiki)
>
> And the definition of "steel cut", which is pretty familiar, eh?: "whole
> grain groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have been cut
> into only two or three pieces by steel rather than being rolled." (Wiki)
>
> "Oatmeal" can cover a lot of ground, from fine-ground groats to rolled,
> to steel-cut.  See the Wiki article.

Anybody here been hearing in the back of their mind "<twang> ... Raw
Bits - made from oat hulls and wheat chaff"?  I kind of miss that
"commercial."  As I recall, you had to send in two references before you
could even buy any!

Sandra, who grew up in a town no bigger than Lake Wobegon (and one just
as hard to find, since it doesn't exist any more)