[Sca-cooks] 12th Century

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Feb 16 11:10:09 PST 2010

Marguerite fitzWilliam wrote:
> I don't suppose any one knows of a source for 12th century Norman/French/Saxon or Welsh cooking information in English?  SCA translations and redctions are fine.

Marguerite, that I know of there are no actual recipes extant from that
time period. However, something you might think about exploring are
inventories and manorial records. They frequently list things like what
crops are being grown, what animals are kept, even what is growing in
the kitchen gardens. You won't get recipes, but you will learn a lot
about diet. And that's a start.

(For an example- I'm currently doing a lot of research on the
Carolinginan Franks. And came across this:
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/800Asnapium.html - it even tells
you what pots are in the kitchen! Very useful stuff!)

'Lainie
(also in An Tir)

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore