[Sca-cooks] Verjuice was Re: Next project, next recipe II.Ambroyno- price questions

yaini0625 at yahoo.com yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 20 22:19:43 PST 2010

Hey Bear,Joann and Elise
Could you repost the fist part of your discussion on verjuice. What it is vs lemon juice. I some how lost it off the blackberry.
If I am understanding correctly, verjuice is primarily green grapes or crabapples juiced to make a bitter liquid? This was different from vinegar? Was verjuice used as a flavoring or preservative?
As Thorvald mentioned gooseberry and sorrel is used for bitter flavoring. Are we talking about Viking food? The Saami aka Laplanders use sorrel and angelica as flavoring and as a preservative for reindeer milk. But this wouldn't be considered verjuice?
Aelina the Saami