[Sca-cooks] Looking for references to orange carrots

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 26 23:10:52 PST 2010

On Feb 27, 2010, at 1:38 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I got this inquiry recently about the root-vegetables-msg file in the Florilegium.
>
> Adamantius, if you can remember what reference you were referring to, I think this is what John was looking for. But if folks have any more such references I'm sure they would be appreciated as well.

I probably was thinking of the reference in le Menagier de Paris, qhicb is late 14th century, in which the author feels it necessary to describe carrots to his new bride as something like, "little red roots you can buy by the handful in such-and-such a market for [a penny, or roughly equivalent unit of currency] a handful."

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter