[Sca-cooks] More Italian queries

edoard at medievalcookery.com edoard at medievalcookery.com
Thu Feb 4 07:51:02 PST 2010

Here are some possibilities based upon possible spelling variants from
Florio's 1611
(note that I know squat about Italian, so these are just my guesses as a
language geek):

> Acantate: The obvious meaning is "to sung (feminine plural)" or "to
> (you plural sing)" neither of which makes sense, since it's "of
> leeks." Any better suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It does
> seem to be a verb.

Acante, the hearb grounswell.  [groundsell - genus Senecio]

> Berlice: Something you make a "grosta" out of.

Grosta, hath been used for Crosta.

Crosta, a crust.
Crostame, crusts, chippings of bread.

[could berlice be barley/barley flour?]

> Cozzarda: Something of spices. A collection? A selection? A mixture?
> Not sure. Not given as "a", just "with cozzarda of spices".

Cozzolo, a knuckle bone.  [perhaps a unit of measure?]

> Crepa: The name of a dish, but also an ingredient; one recipe
> instructs you to put in "an ounce of crepa of white wine."

Greppola, dregs, dross, leese of any thing.
[yeast perhaps?]

> Fritto - Fried, but what? "To make fried with loins" doesn't make
> much sense, and we don't have the recipe it goes with. To fry loins?
> Is there a set meaning for "fritto" like chopped herbs for "battuto"?

Frittole, as Fritelle, fritters, wafers.

> Fusticello: An implement used to push chopped herbs into a lamprey
> that one is cooking. I'm guessing a long fork of some kind because of
> the trifling similarity to "forchetta" - "-etto" and "-ello" did seem
> to go back and forth during this period, and my dictionary gives
> "fustigare" and "fustigone" as "furigare" and "furigone", suggesting
> that they may have gone back and forth as well. Pretty lousy
> evidence, yes.

Fusto, any kind of stock, stump, trunk, logge, or block.
Also a trunk or body without a head. Also a stalk, a shaft,
or shank of any thing.
[I'd guess it means a sort of stick, something like a muddle]

> Grosta: Possibly crust, but is first given as "grosta of chickens"
> which doesn't make sense. The recipe is not given.

Grossa, gross, big, fat.  [maybe the equivalent to "brawn"?]

> Iapigio: No idea. One recipe asks you to take a pound of pork loin
> cut fine, wash it and put it "al iapigio." The dictionary says Iapiga
> is the western wind.

Appogio, a rest, a stay, or leaning upon. [?]

> Moriada: An adjective applying to meat.

[dead?]

> Odoricti - adjective applied to chicken. Also an ingredient named in
> making capon along with voci. Probably actually odoritti, since it is
> named the second time as "odoriti".

Odorifero, odiferous or smelling. [stinky? fragarant?]

> Ola: Something you make tortelli of.

Olla, any pipkin, possenet, or pot.

> Panniccia: They suggest panic. I doubt it.

Pannicula carnosa, a fleshie membrane or pannicle or skin that lieth
next under the fat of the outward parts, and is the fourth cover
that wrapppeth  all the bodie over.

> Roffoffoli: The name of a dish that you make with quinces. The recipe
> is not given.

[a typo for rossofoli perhaps?]
Rosso, red, ruddy, tauny-red.
Folio, a folio or sheet of paper.

> Tigete: Possibly related to below. Either a feminine noun, or an
> adverb applying to a verb applying to a feminine pronoun. Context:
> "...and put in an onion cut minutely and a decent quantity of salt,
> and depress (lower) the (or it, feminine) tigete to half..." The
> feminine thing for it to refer back to would probably either be the
> eel you're cooking or the pot you're cooking it in, more likely the
> former.
> Tengato: Something of something else. Context: "Take the tengato of
> whatever you want, and take almonds and ginger and cinnamon, the best
> that you can have, and spice some with cloves and nutmeg and a little
> saffron, and mix these things well, and grind them..." The recipe is
> "To make sauce"

Tegghia, any kind of pan or pot, as a dripping, a frying, a tarte, or a
colepan.

> Voci: Something you make capons with, along with odoritti (see
> above). Voconie is cherries or figs.

Vocolari, kernels, wartles, buttons, or glandules under a hogs jaw.

[This makes me wonder if "odoritti" is offal.  Is the recipe in question

similar to the period English recipes for "garbage"?]

- Doc