[Sca-cooks] Apples....

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Sat Feb 6 20:18:15 PST 2010

She just said "pippins." I believe that's all the specific the recipe got.

Regarding someone's response about the type of grocery store--we live in a moderately-sized town in Montana.  No Trader Joe's or Whole Paycheck within, mmmm, 9 hours or so, travel time (SLC).  We have a home-grown variant, but I don't recall seeing anything really unusual there.  Plus, we have the "normal" western grocery stores like Albertsons and Safeway.  I assume WallyWorld sells produce in their grocery store, but I couldn't swear to it....(wouldn't shop there on a bet)

Perhaps it would be more instructive if I asked what the characteristics of a medieval pippin would have been? tart? sweet? etc?

(besides "russeting," whatever that is....)

--Maire