[Sca-cooks] Apples....

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo dama.antonia at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 21:01:51 PST 2010

S CLEMENGER wrote:
> Perhaps it would be more instructive if I asked what the characteristics of a medieval pippin would have been? tart? sweet? etc?

Hmm... a little research suggests that in the US, the generic term
pippin might be used as a synonym for 'Newtown Pippin'.  This page makes
it out to be a "firm, tart apple that's great for pies, baking, and
applesauce."

http://www.foodsubs.com/Apples.html

Here's another page about the "pippin" (really the Newtown Pippin).
http://www.specialtyproduce.com/index.php?item=20211

Anyway, calling describing an apple simply as a 'pippin' is just
confusing, as there are *many* varieties of pippin apples and whether or
not an apple is a pippin is not indicative of its qualities. For
example, while the Newtown Pippin is green-skinned and tart, the Cox's
Orange Pippin is yellow-and-red striped, sweet and subacid. So, there's
no real way to guess what the equivalant to a Medieval 'pippin' would be
without more information.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,