[Sca-cooks] Differences -measures and names

Arianwen ferch Arthur caer_mab at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 21:18:43 PST 2010

Reading these digest, I know I am getting confused.  I know there are differences in ingredients, names, measures etc.  I am an American, currently working in UK, I have worked in Australia, Japan, Netherlands and Italy,  I was in Australia when they changed to metric

the other teachers told me I would have no problems since I was an American and used to the metric system :-)

I learned to use gills (5 fl oz in Australia half a cup in UK) the Australian cup was 8 fl oz like the US,

I have the German/English cookbook the flour is different...

Anyway, the point is that although I can straighten things out if I know where they are coming from, I have been confused by come comments trying to figure out where they are located.

Antonio commented bout corn flour vs the corn starch I mentioned in an earlier post, OK I understood from that he was in Australia,  but are all the others there also?

(and I think I am going to put something in my sig to let people know where I am)

and also SIGH please trim!  sometimes (most times?) I get confused because there are 4 or more other messages embedded in the reply so I lose who is talking...

Arianwen ferch Arthur
Drachenwald, Insulae Draconis, Flintheath

"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog it's too dark to read." G. Marx