[Sca-cooks] Next project,next recipe II.Ambroyno- price/verjuice

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Sat Feb 20 19:59:45 PST 2010

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:59:43 +0000
From: yaini0625 at yahoo.com
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Next project,	next recipe II.Ambroyno- price
	questions

I have my idea of what verajuice is but I would like to hear all of your
take on it? Why do you think it is used so prominently in cooking?
Aelina the Saami
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Because it's really yummy?
I love verjuice - at least verjuice made from grapes. I don't know why you'd
bother with the stuff made from crab apples unless you can't get grape
verjuice and wish you could :-P
Actually, I suspect they made verjuice for the same reason I made it this
year (or tried to anyway, it was a bit of a catastrophe). Which is 'what am
I going to do with all these grapes?'. I had 14kg of grapes off my (2) vines
this year, thanks to a wet winter (good for the grapes, not so good for the
cherries). You do tend to see more verjuice used, I think, in France, Spain
and Italy where they grew wine grapes, than in England, where grapes grew in
the early mediaeval warm period, but not so much since then.

Angharad