[Sca-cooks] More Italian queries

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Feb 3 21:44:17 PST 2010

Some more questions from my daughter for anyone who has answers, or
even plausible guesses:

Acantate: The obvious meaning is "to sung (feminine plural)" or "to
(you plural sing)" neither of which makes sense, since it's "of
leeks." Any better suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It does
seem to be a verb.
Berlice: Something you make a "grosta" out of.
Ciorate: Carota is carrot. The plural of carota is carote. Is there
anything else it could be? I'm a bit worried I'm jumping to
conclusions.
Conducto: Possibly condotto, conduit or ditch, but makes little sense
in context. Something you make out of almonds.
Cozzarda: Something of spices. A collection? A selection? A mixture?
Not sure. Not given as "a", just "with cozzarda of spices".
Crepa: The name of a dish, but also an ingredient; one recipe
instructs you to put in "an ounce of crepa of white wine."

Fritto - Fried, but what? "To make fried with loins" doesn't make
much sense, and we don't have the recipe it goes with. To fry loins?
Is there a set meaning for "fritto" like chopped herbs for "battuto"?
Fusticello: An implement used to push chopped herbs into a lamprey
that one is cooking. I'm guessing a long fork of some kind because of
the trifling similarity to "forchetta" - "-etto" and "-ello" did seem
to go back and forth during this period, and my dictionary gives
"fustigare" and "fustigone" as "furigare" and "furigone", suggesting
that they may have gone back and forth as well. Pretty lousy
evidence, yes.
Grosta: Possibly crust, but is first given as "grosta of chickens"
which doesn't make sense. The recipe is not given.
Iapigio: No idea. One recipe asks you to take a pound of pork loin
cut fine, wash it and put it "al iapigio." The dictionary says Iapiga
is the western wind.
Moriada: An adjective applying to meat.
Obitelli: An ingredient put into a tart of herbs along with spinach,
therefore probably an herb or leafy green of some sort.
Odoricti - adjective applied to chicken. Also an ingredient named in
making capon along with voci. Probably actually odoritti, since it is
named the second time as "odoriti".
Ola: Something you make tortelli of.
Panniccia: They suggest panic. I doubt it.
Renfuso: The name of a dish. Also used as an adjective, renfusa,
applying to tench, in a recipe not given.
Reverida: I suspect a dish or kind of sauce. One recipe calls for the
sauce to be thick "in the style of reverida"
Roffoffoli: The name of a dish that you make with quinces. The recipe
is not given.
Soctopei: The name of a dish, but it ought to mean "under" something;
any idea what?

Suco di gienche, n: Sounds like "juice of heifers" which makes no
sense. I speculate that it may either be meat broth from cooking
heifers, steers, bullocks, or any of the listed things, or that it
may be "milk of heifers". However, this is just speculation, and they
do use other words for both milk and meat broth, so it seems
unlikely. If anyone has a better idea...
Tigete: Possibly related to below. Either a feminine noun, or an
adverb applying to a verb applying to a feminine pronoun. Context:
"...and put in an onion cut minutely and a decent quantity of salt,
and depress (lower) the (or it, feminine) tigete to half..." The
feminine thing for it to refer back to would probably either be the
eel you're cooking or the pot you're cooking it in, more likely the
former.
Tengato: Something of something else. Context: "Take the tengato of
whatever you want, and take almonds and ginger and cinnamon, the best
that you can have, and spice some with cloves and nutmeg and a little
saffron, and mix these things well, and grind them..." The recipe is
"To make sauce"
Voci: Something you make capons with, along with odoritti (see
above). Voconie is cherries or figs.

Additional puzzle: The phrase "de fora inenti" is used. Context:
"...put in 1 ounce of spices and a half quart of 1 ounce of strained
spices which were ground in the fish gelatina in that same way. De
fora inenti, and draw it directly on (to) the table, and put in an
ounce of sugar..." De should be of, fora could mean "holes" or
"forth" or be the verb "forare", to pierce or make hollow, and inenti
my best guess is Inentro, within or inwardly, although Enante, a kind
of wild grape, would be my second best guess. I can't really make
sense of it with any combination of these interpretations, though.
Any better ideas?

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com