[Sca-cooks] Next project, next recipe II.Ambroyno- price/verjuice

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 22 05:50:36 PST 2010

On Feb 22, 2010, at 8:35 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Yup...it's great stuff.  Most of what you find is made with white grapes.
> However, in my recent search for a source, I found a verjus made from red
> grapes.  I used it to build the marinade I made for the lamb roasts for next
> weekend.  Marinade tasted marvelous...a somewhat richer taste than what I
> had done in the past with white verjus.

Many people don't realize that white wines (and apparently verjuice) can often be made with red grapes; and that red wines are colored to some extent, at least, with the skins of the grapes, which, if the must is drained off the skins quickly enough, changes the character of the product.

Is red wine grape verjuice red or green/yellow? I mean, the "ver" in "verjuice" does denote green, after all...

Adamantius (still haven't found Andre Simon, will look for it again later)

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter