[Sca-cooks] Those dangerous dogs

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Feb 23 15:45:09 PST 2010

Johnna Holloway wrote:
> In case you missed the news regarding hot dogs
> Pediatricians push for hot dogs to get warning label; 'kid-friendly'
> food poses choking hazard
>
> Read more:
> http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2010/02/22/2010-02-22_pediatricians_push_for_hot_dogs_to_get_warning_label_kidfriendly_food_poses_chok.html#ixzz0gP9vEafK
>

> http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/ct-talk-hot-dog-choking-0223-20100222,0,2617867.story
>

> http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/636245.html
>
> Johnnae

I'm surprised that any of us survived at all. _I_ grew up eating hot
dogs, and I'm sure the rest of you do too. If there is an increase in
hot dog incidents (I'm not sure that there is, but let's go with it), I
think it points not necessarily at the food for suddenly being unsafe;
instead, I think it is a significant decrease in adult supervision of
children who are eating. When my kids were little, I ate meals with
them. At the same table and everything. If there had been a problem, I
could have taken the appropriate steps. Lately though I see an awful lot
of parents who hand their kids food and let them wander off. Even
toddlers. Or they wander off. Who eats meals as a family anymore?

Hot dogs, marshmallows, grapes, even peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
(a bolus of smooshed peanut butter and bread is awfully sticky, and just
the right size)- all of these things can be dangerous. But a little care
can decrease the danger greatly. Besides that, eating with your kids is
a good habit to be in. As they get older, it may be the only time you
see them all day!

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore