[Sca-cooks] Unique tapas

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jan 21 15:20:00 PST 2010

>A friend of my daughter's from NYC and I are the Chair ladies for
>tapas committee the night before her wedding. We plan to have the
>classical Spanish tortilla but are looking for yummy items people
>might not know about. The wedding is in Chiapas, Mexico beside
>locals, guests will be coming from all over the world like Russia,
>Spain, Australia, England, Kenya, Chile, the US and who knows where
>else.
>Suey

What kind of recipes are you looking for?  Things that can be
prepared ahead of time? Finger food only or plate and fork?  How many
people?

Are you looking for classic Spanish tapas or something else? As
others said there are a number of period recipes that would suit this
style of meal.

Have you seen _Tapas, the little Dishes of Spain_ by Penelope Casas,
which has some lovely recipes.
Some of the things I've tried:  Grilled Tuna on dressed tomatoes,
grilled salmon w asparagus, mussels in wine sauce, chickpeas in onion
sauce, carrot salad, mushrooms in garlic sauce, shrimp in garlic
sauce, cauliflower salad,

Also: eggs stuffed with shrimp, salmon trout in saffron sauce, fish
in orange sauce, tuna balls in wine sauce, tiny meatballs in saffron
sauce, meatballs in almond sauce, sausages in sweet and sour figs,
marinated olives, manchego cheese with quince preserves, potato
bravas, Ensaladilla rusa, snrimp in green mayonnaise, barcelona rice
salad, eggplant salad, duck and ham pate, partridge and liver pate,
pate with turkey breast, baked dried cod, smoked salmon pate, fish
and vegetable salpicon, salpicon de mariscos, marinated squid,
mussels escabeche, shrimp, melon and apple salad

Banderillas  or pinchos or gildas - small skewers of tidbits of
marinated fish, vegetables, olives and the like.  Canapes with
various savory spreads on bread.  Empanadas or bite sized
empanadillas filled with tuna, or chicken or spinach or spicy meat
with raisins, spinach and pear in puff pastry, chorizo in puff
pastry, scallop pie

Asparagus with romesco sauce, red onion and orange salad, red peppers
stuffed with tuna
sliced serrano ham, anchovies in vinegar, sardine escabeche chorizo
filled dates in bacon, marinated red peppers, grilled vetables,
flavored almonds, various cheese and olives, good bread, melon or
other fruit

Let me know if you want recipes for any of these

Ranvaig