[Sca-cooks] Scully's Neapolitan Recipe Collection and some queries

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jan 22 17:07:22 PST 2010

I've been looking at Scully's _Neapolitan Recipe Collection_ in the
hope of finding answers to a few of the puzzled Rebecca encountered
in translating a different southern Italian cookbook, and a few
points struck me.

1. He repeatedly refers to "squash." My guess is he means the white
flowered gourd, which unlike squash is old world.

2. He refers to kidney beans, which as I understand it are new world.

3. He thinks eggplant was a new introduction to Italian cooking in
the 15th century. But it's common in Islamic cooking at least by the
10th century, and between then and the 15th a good deal of southern
Italy was under islamic rule for a substantial length of time.

Some other points ...  . Scully's manuscript has a recipe for
figatelli, which are used as an ingredient in the cookbook Rebecca is
translating. It uses mesentary, which I gather is also used in
classical french cuisine and called "the crow." Any idea whether a
modern butcher could supply it or what he would call it?

The following are terms which Rebecca isn't sure of the meaning of;
suggestions invited:

Apolinos
Barbari (Barbaro, barbare)
Battuto (need second meaning, other than beaten. Maybe batter?)Borvij
Calcinelli (small shellfish. What kind?)
Capricto
Carus
Cesame
Civero
Crepa
Cumere
Eucabam
Locanica
Lonche
Moriada
Mortimolo
Mortia: Unknown. "Mortita" is "a kind of meat like jelly"
Muliazeto
Obitelli
Odoricti (Odoritti)
Ola: Unknown. Some kind of flour? Barley is Orzo. ***
Pugne: Unknown. Probably plural of Pugna, but since Pugna means "fistfight"...
Quillies: Unknown.
Renfusa
Scorza aromatica
Vone