[Sca-cooks] irons for browning food

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Jul 24 05:44:53 PDT 2010

My salamander came from Wiliams-Sonoma. Years and years ago.

They endorse using propane torches these days. Quicker and it lets you
play
with fire.

As of 2010, Sur la Table is offering the Steven Raichlen Crème Brûlée
Set which is to be used on a grill.
"Now you can prepare a dessert classic in the traditional fashion. A
fire-heated cast-iron plate called a salamander is an ideal way to
achieve crème brûlée’s signature crust of caramelized sugar. This
technique is brought to the grill with this set.

Includes two graceful porcelain-enameled cast-iron ramekins,
salamander and recipe card. Each ramekin is 4½". "

Johnnae