[Sca-cooks] More on sapa/saba

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Jun 22 20:22:47 PDT 2010

To quote Flower and Rosenbaum, "If, for instance, we make a sauce or gravy
fromk wine we add the wine and let it boil fiercely until it is sufficiently
reduced.  The Roman cooks had this done beforehand, and used wine of must
reduced to various degrees ready made.  According to the degree of
reduction, it was called 'careonum,' 'defrutum' (or 'defritum') or 'sapa.'
The definitions given by various classical authors do not all agree with
each other.  According to Varro and Columella, 'defrutum' is reduced by
boiling must to one-third of its volume; according to Pliny, it should be
one half of its volume.  Palladius gives the following definitions (XI,
xviii):

Now about the preparation of 'defrutum,' 'caroenum,' and 'sapa.'  Although
all three are made from the same substance, namely from must, the nethod of
their preparation modifies both their names and their properties.  For
'defrutum' has its name from "boiling down," and it is ready when it it is
reduced to a thick consistency.  'Caroenum' is ready when it is reduced to
one-third of its volume with two-thirds remaning, 'sapa,' when it has been
reduced to one-third.  The latter is improved when quinces are cooked with
it and fig wood is added to the fire."

"It is very clear that the laxative effect is greater when only the flesh of
the berries (grapes) has been swallowed with the juice, without the pips and
the skin, and is still more so when the juice itself is expressed and drunk
on its own.  People call it 'must'..."

    Powell, Owen, trans., Galen, On the Properties of Foodstuffs: On Grapes,
Cambridge, 2003.

"Siraion...boiled down new wine; but also sometimes translated as 'must',
which is new wine, or wine in the early stage of manufacture before
fermentation is complete.

    Powell, Owen, trans., Galen, On the Properties of Foodstuffs:
Commentary, note for line 507, Cambridge, 2003.

> We have apparently discussed sapa/saba at least once before. In looking
> through the Florilegium, I found this following message in the grapes-msg
> file. I will be moving it to the new sapa-msg file, though.
>
> Hauviette seems to be saying that boiling the fresh wine gets you
> defrutum, while letting it evaporate gets you sapa/saba/sabba, at least
> according to Platina. I'm not sure that the result would be much different
> between boiling the juice or letting it evaporate.

All appear to be reduced by boiling, with the names varying by degree.

> "Must" is filtered grape juice, correct? Not smushed grapes, which would
> also include the skin and flesh and other bits.

I would say that must does mean filtered grape juice, with an open question
as to wether it is fermenting or not.

> Would you consider sapa/saba/sabba to be a condiment? Or an ingredient?
> I'm trying to decide where to put this new file in the Florilegium.
>
> Thanks,
>  Stefan

Sapa is primarily an ingredient for sauces although ISTR one recipe where it
is used as a condiment.  Apicius tends to use defrutum, which is definitely
lighter (and I suspect sweeter) rather than sapa.

Bear