[Sca-cooks] Cassenadt / Reniancken

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Thu Mar 18 12:24:48 PDT 2010

The Reniancke is a quite delicious fish but is no longer widely available and can only be had if you have a fisher somewhere in the family with a private fishing water that still has some.

An dregarding the cassenad, I can't imagine the fish served sweet with sugar

I found another book with fish (this time Thymallus thymallus,Grayling ) and cassenad in a recipe!!

Haus- Feld- Arzney- Koch- Kunst und Wunderbuch Von Johann Christoph Thieme 1694
aeschen in erbis-brueh

204 is aeschen in peas broth

205:  ihr moegets auch in Cassenad absieden/ koennets kalt oder warm geben/ wie es euch gefaellet

you may cook it in Cassenad/ you can serve it cold or warm / as you like

http://books.google.at/books?id=PytAAAAAcAAJ&pg=RA5-PA839&lpg=RA5-PA839&dq=cassenad&source=bl&ots=CJbTnZcXpp&sig=RTtvP84xba0bKZvjg-gie97pKxs&hl=de&ei=7XqiS-rrCqWQmwOVz9DwCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=cassenad&f=false

again no further reference to cassenad is given

Reniancke:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coregonus

Coregonus ist eine Gattung von Fischarten aus der Familie der Forellenfische (Salmonidae). Deutsche Namen sind Reinanken, Renken, Felchen, Coregonen, Schnäpel, Maränen usw. Dabei kann ein deutscher Name für verschiedene Arten stehen; viele Arten haben mehrere Namen je nach Region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coregonus

Coregonus Linnaeus, 1758, is a genus of fish in the salmon family (family Salmonidae). The type species is the common whitefish (C. lavaretus). The Coregonus species are known as whitefishes.

The Arctic cisco (C. autumnalis), the Bering cisco (C. laurettae), and the least cisco (C. sardinella) are anadromous, moving between salt water and fresh water.

Many species in this genus, especially from the Great Lakes and the Alpine lakes of Europe, have gone extinct over the past century or are endangered. All Coregonus species are protected under appendix III of the Bern Convention.

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:55:05 -0500
> From: Sharon Palmer <ranvaig at columbus.rr.com>
> To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Cassenadt
>
>>  > In my Rumpolt translation, I have come across the word "Cassenadt".

SNIP