[Sca-cooks] cherry pottage, what's a #1 can?

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Wed Mar 31 07:53:42 PDT 2010

> PS: Also this is the only "cherry pottage" recipe I seem to have. Does
> anyone else have another period cherry pottage or something similar?
> --------

Stefan, in a weird bit of synchronicity, I just did my first critical
reading of Wecker's cherry 'muß' (mush/pottage) recipes.  They seem to be
pretty similar in ingredients to the one you have, although some have wine
and additionally some have cinnamon or ginger for spice.  There's one
layered affair that I'm still trying to understand with sugar/raisins,
then bread, cooked cherry brew, sugar/raisins and when the bread soaks up
the brew, the cooked cherries are added and finally another top layer of
bread.  These are then cut into strips and artfully arranged on a chafing
type dish and partially covered with eggs.  The dish is then cooked over
boiling water (or some other food).  I wonder if the eggs are absorbed
into the bread or if they make the sliced cherry 'sandwiches' into a whole
single mass. I think it is intended to be served as a torte-like dish so
maybe it is a single mass meant to be cut into slices.  Further
translation will probably clarify my fuzziness.

If there's any interest I'll post more.

Katherine in An Tir