[Sca-cooks] Cooking gone bad or the oops factor Getting Proactive

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 17 13:15:51 PDT 2010

Respected friends:
--- On Wed, 3/17/10, otsisto <otsisto at socket.net> wrote:
(Massive snippage)
> some stories
> are to juicy to dry up and blow away.
> De
     OH, am I familiar with this one...
Many years ago, I was assistant cook at an outdoor event. The meat, which had been scored in a fantastic sale five weeks earlier, was in the huge cellar chest freezer. For obvious reasons, we didn't check it daily.
     Imagine our surprise the morning of the event to discover that the freezer had spectacularly malfunctioned. Everything in it was _40 degrees below zero Fahrenheit_.   The guy who picked up the first piece 'burnt' his fingers, and, not being an idiot, dropped it. It was so hard it rang like a bell.
     As soon as we arrived on-site we spread all the meat packages (note still packaged) on top of black cloth on the tables. We ended up almost serving two separate mini-feasts because it took till dusk for the meat to be cook-able.
     Meanwhile, there was a Sweet Young Thing on site flirting with, and kissing, every available male. In between which episodes she was in the porta-johns. All Day. All Night. All the next day...
     By sundown Sunday half the men present had the trots. By Monday night, we had left meat rotting on the tables all weekend and poisoned the (not present) Royals.
     Of course we triple-checked ourselves. The power bill proved the freezer had dived in temperature two days _before_ the sale.
     It's been 35+ years. People who certainly should know better still say "Oh, we can't let her cook. Rotten meat. She almost killed a Queen, you know."
     ....And now that I've admitted I was present and on the staff, they'll probably say it about me, too.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

Debeo videre quid in capsis frigorifica