[Sca-cooks] Latest CA

yaini0625 at yahoo.com yaini0625 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 12:05:50 PDT 2010

The book started off as a Pentathlon project five years ago. It was inspired after an impromptu conversation with a couple of Caidian cooks at a Collegium. We were discussing why people didn't participate in feast because of health issues. These cooks mentioned that they wished they had more information about specialized diets for diabetics, celiac disease and people following the diets of the American Heart Assoc.
At the time I was brand new to the SCA and was really motivated to share my experiences with gluten free diet (I am a Celiac) and sugar and low sodium diets (my husband and best friend are diabetic and a mentor of mine must follow a strict low sodium diet.) I had just finished my Master's thesis and had also written several briefs based off my Master's. Tough judges! Also, completely different format the Chicago ML.
In the brainstorming session we narrowed it down to these three diets due to their significant lifestyle changes. The History of Vegetarianism we decided was a separate topic to be tackled later. Dairy allergies I found it tough to find period non-dairy substitute that didn't alter the look or flavor. A goal I tried to achieve was to find substitutes that were historically period and could be found in Europe. Soy is often used as a substitute for dairy and vegetarian diets. It was used in Medieval China and Japan but I couldn't find references of it used in Europe.
The information provided can be taken as a whole or individually but was all provided with the best of intention and with an open heart. Like many areas of learning it is never ending and always changing. Open discussion and comments are always valuable tools for learning and expanding ones horizon.
Bless Bless
Aelina

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T