[Sca-cooks] An apple-related question...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 26 21:55:45 PDT 2010

Stefan:
<<< Yeah, I'd leave off the candying part... Somehow candied cucumbers
doesn't sound as good as candied apples... >>>

Ranvaig:
<<< You don't like sweet pickles? >>>

That's not the same as "candying". As well as cucumbers being different from pickles.

Brighid:
<<< You might be surprised.  A lot of people looked at me funny when I
offered them candied horseradish, but most of those brave souls who
tried it, liked it. >>>

I'm assuming you are thinking of the same recipe I am. Yes, I've tried it. I was not very impressed. Did you go through the changing out the water that the chopped horseradish was soaking in, each day, for the week?  Mine turned out more to be a texture than a taste thing. By the time the horseradish had been soaked for the week, changing out the water, there didn't seem to be much taste left, certainly not much "hot, spicy" taste.

The recipe I used can be found in this Florilegium file:
horseradish-msg (60K) 1/28/09 Period use of horseradish. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/ginger-msg.html

Okay, it seems Brighid was the originator of this recipe. Her summary pretty much sums up my description of the results. I guess I was expecting more of a bite and yes, something closer to candied ginger is what I was expecting.

"The boiling and soaking process took almost all of the "bite" out of
the horseradish.  I had expected something similar in intensity to
candied ginger, but the result was much milder.  It could well have been
candied turnip, or some other such root vegetable, though there was a
discernable horseradish taste.  The honey flavor was quite distinct,
and I would like to try the recipe again with a sugar syrup.

Brighid ni Chiarain"

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com