[Sca-cooks] apple fritters at Pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 2 16:29:50 PDT 2010

<<<
I've had some luck with apple fritters by grating the apples and mixing the
grated matter in with the batter.

toodles, margaret >>>

Okay, there are two types of fritters. In one, you mix up a concoction of various items along with flour or dough, mixing them all together and then fry blobs of this. In the second, you bread something like apple chunks or slices in four or dough and then fry this in oil or butter. In looking through the Florilegium frittours-msg file, the former seem to be more common. However, I still continue to think of fritters as the latter.

I can easily see using even standard, commercial applesauce in the first type. It was using the applesauce in the second method that seemed to be problematic.

Looking again at some of the recipes has gotten my interesting in trying some of the "fried blob" type. Perhaps cheese or the apple. Grating the apples looks like it might be easier than chopping the apples.

They look like another good "breakfast" idea, even if they weren't used in period for breakfast.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com