[Sca-cooks] apple fritters at Pennsic

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Sep 3 20:12:57 PDT 2010

I tried Martino's fritters this evening. 3/4 lb apples, peeled,
simmered about 20 minutes, then everything but the core mushed,
combined with 1/4 c flour, T sugar,and some sourdough (I assume the
yeast should be beer or wine sediment, which I don't have) and fried.
Assuming that I ended up with 1/2 lb of apple mush, I was using a
much lower ratio of flour and sugar to apple than Euriol did.

It came out too much like applesauce with a cooked crust for my
taste--not as good as my usual Lente Frytoures. At the end I added
more flour, which made it a bit better. The original has "a bit of
sifted flour," which makes me reluctant to use Euriol's quantity,
which works out to about half as much flour as apple sauce by
weight-but I suspect it would have come out better if I had. I may
try it again with much more flour.

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com