[Sca-cooks] serving fresh fruit

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 15:07:03 PDT 2010

  The only reference I have of serving fresh fruit is from Gitlitz's
Drizzle of Honey. His reference is an and the only result of "an"
interragation of a Jewish convert. I take Gitlitz with a grain of salt
as basically the part of the Inquisition he covers is gossip. I don't
see proof of the acquisitions. The Al-Andalus recipes use fresh fruit
for stuffing roasted animals such as geese but of course when served the
fruits are cooked. These recipes are descendents of Persian recipes. I
find more evidence that in Europe during the Middle Ages fresh fruit was
food for the poor and thought harmful by the upper class.  I would not
dare present fresh fruit at a medieval Spanish banquet for fear of
insulting my guests. You know all of Spanish descent hail from someone
important :-D , :-D !
Suey