[Sca-cooks] persimmons

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Sep 8 20:07:20 PDT 2010

And I think it remained a novelty at least in Britain. I didn't find
it mentioned in EEBO and the OED quotations are sparse, to say the
least.

I own the Dover facsimile edition of Parkinson's 1629 Paradisi in
Sole. In it he comments that
he has never tasted the fresh fruit because the tree, the Virginia
Pishamin, the Virginia Plumme, "hath growne with us of the kernels
that were sent out of Virginia, into great trees... It hath not yet
borne flower or fruit in our Countrey that I can understand : but the
fruit, as it was sent to us, is in forme and bigness like unto a Date,
covered with a blackish skinne, set in a huske of foure hard leaves,
very firme like unto a date, and almost as sweete, with great flat and
thicke kernels within them, very like unto the former, but larger.
The Use of these Lote trees.

the last , as Captain Smith relateth in the discovery of Virginia, if
the fruit be eaten while it is greene, and not ripe, is able by the
harsh and binding taste and quality to draw ones mouth awry... but
when it is thorough ripe it is pleasant, as I have said before." page
570

So in 1629 he was still relaying upon Smith's description about the
unripe fruits. He does include an illustration in one of the plates.

Johnnae