[Sca-cooks] Roman Ketchup Revised

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Sep 10 14:02:55 PDT 2010

> Myapologies, here is a better version-I hope- of the article/abstract.
> http://www.sagnlandet.dk/GARUM-THE-KETCHUP-FOR-THE-ROMANS.1041.0.html
> It is Garum aka Ketchup. Which from the abstract sounds like a fish sauce.
>
> My question then is how did the terminology or word "ketchup" become used
> for
> the tomato version? It sounds like it started off as a fish sauce of
> sorts.
>
> Aelina

What you are asking for is a specific point in the evolution of the usage of
the word ketchup for which there is no precise answer.  What we do know is:

1.  The word appears to derive from the Malay "kechap" (probably derived
from Chinese) which commonly referred to fish sauce.  Wikipedia errors by
assuming that kechap originates at the same time as the introduction of the
word into English and by assuming that the derivation of the Malay from
Chinese is proven rather than probable.

2.  Ketchup first appears in English in 1690.  The word and the sauce were
likely introduced by sailors who had developed a taste for the sauce when in
SE Asia.  Katsup and catsup, catchup and ketsup are all variant spellings
that are roughly contemporaneous.

3.  Ketchup became generically applied to vinegar based sauces in the 18th
Century.  Tomato ketchup is a vinegar based sauce.

4.  A recipe for tomato ketchup appears in The Virginia Housewife of 1824.
There is supposed to be several other earlier tomato ketchup recipes dating
as early as 1801.  The first known commercial tomato ketchup appeared in
1837.

5.  Somewhere between the early 19th Century and some time in the 20th
Century we became conditioned to think of ketchup as meaning tomato ketchup
as other forms of ketchup were set aside.  However, most bottles of ketchup
still carry the label "Tomato Ketchup," referencing a specific usage rather
than a generic one.  We might be able to produce a more precise date if we
tracked the elimination of the recipes other than those for tomato ketchup.

6.  There is no direct link between garum and ketchup other than they are
both ubiquitously used condiments in their own time and place.

If you are interested in garum, might I suggest reading some of our earlier
discussions at:

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/garum-msg.html

Bear