[Sca-cooks] Leftovers, questions and discussion [long]

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Sep 10 19:34:16 PDT 2010

> Good answers/rebuttals to each of my hypotheticals.
>
> I was thinking of butchers and cattle, as most people can't slaughter
> their
> own cow (I can't, and I raise them for slaughter - it takes a heavy winch
> and support system that I don't have).  Or horses.  Weren't horses
> occasionally eaten too?
>
> But I'll admit to ignorance of how the butchering and/or sale of cows or
> horses occurred, or if it even occurred much in period.
>

> Hrethric

Take a look at the work of Vicenzio Campi (later half of the 16th Century).
The Poultry Seller and the Fish Seller are of particular interest.

For a look at the packing industry of the 15th and 16th Centuries and for
information about driving cattle, pigs, sheep, etc. to market I recommend
Ferdinand Braudel's three volume set Civilization & Capitalism 15th-18th
Century.  IIRC, the greatest information can be found in Volume 1, The
Structures of Everyday Life.

Most towns had ordinances to enforce food purity laws and very often it was
the local guild who did the enforcing.  An interesting exception to the laws
found in one town's set of ordinances was that rotten meat could be sold as
rotten meat but only before the city stocks.

Bear