[Sca-cooks] Recipes and notes from Nimatnama feast

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 13 03:43:20 PDT 2010

Madhavi wrote
>I have posted all of the recipes from the Nimatnama feast on my webpage.
>Some are for small/test amounts and some are for the full 160 for the feast.
>I will add the numbers from the actual manuscript as I am able.
>
>http://madhavifeast.wordpress.com/recipes/

First, your feast sounds *wonderful*! Besides reading your pre feast
info and instructions, i have looked a photos from the feast. Wish i
could have been there!

Now, some questions about a recipe:

Bhat-i-Shahi
10 lb good rice
1 tin of saffron
2 cups ghee
10 cups whole milk
Salt
Whole peppercorns
1 lb slivered almonds

There are no directions...

...although way down at the bottom, under Cook's Notes you wrote:
The only way to make rice in large amounts: Fry rice and whatever
else goes in the recipe in ghee or oil until the rice is opaque. Then
pour in the requisite amount of water and bring to a full rolling
boil. Immediately turn off the fire, cover the pot, cover the pot
with towels, and set aside. Leave it alone for at least 45 minutes to
an hour. The rice will be perfectly done every time.

So, am i assuming correctly that this is how you prepared this recipe?

Also, how much saffron is in a tin of saffron? Where i live, i find
saffron in many sizes of glass jars and was gifted with some
marvelous saffron in a plastic container, but i haven't noticed tins
of saffron...
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita