[Sca-cooks] Feeding the cat was Crepes

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Wed Sep 22 04:36:42 PDT 2010

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:00:31 -0600
From: "Kathleen A Roberts" <karobert at unm.edu>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Feeding the cat was Crepes

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:29:41 -0500
  Michael Gunter <dookgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Okay this is funny because I didn't know about this
>quote but I often fed my first crepe to
> my bread-loving kitten. The first crepe usually doesn't
>cook right because the oil is too clean.
> The impurities added by cooking that first crepe makes
>the rest come out perfect.

my  mother always threw away the first pancake and the
first palachinta (sp)pancake (really crepe, now i know
better).  they were always too greasy.  and i don't think
she knew too much about napoleon.

i still throw away the first palachinta pancake on the
rare occasions i make them.  hmmm.... maybe this weekend.

I don't have a cat but the first pancake usually goes to the smallest
Child who will be having it cut up for him anyway. What I find is that the
first one very often sticks outrageously to the pan. Maybe I don't have the
temperature quite right. But the subsequent ones are usually fine, even if
the first stuck one has left some residue on the pan.

Non-stick pans are just wrong :-P

Angharad