[Sca-cooks] US Source For Book

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Sep 1 17:19:17 PDT 2010

Are you talking about the Tudor Cooks book?

http://tudorcook.bravehost.com/

You can order it through Lulu and they can supply copies in the USA.

http://stores.lulu.com/tudorcook
The shipping and handling charge is set by the print company lulu.com
and varies slightly depending upon your location.

  As Doc explained back in 2008

edoard at medievalcookery.com wrote:
> It's also worth noting that the "A Noble Boke of Cokery" available for
> sale from http://tudorcook.blogspot.com/ is not the same text as the
> "A
> Noble Boke off Cookry" available online for free at
> http://www.medievalcookery.com/etexts.html
>
> The free, online text ("A Noble Boke off Cookry") is a transcription
> of
> a single 15th century manuscript, as presented in a book published in
> 1882 by Robina Napier.
>
> - Doc

And here is my long description that bears repeating
(You might want to print this out and tuck a copy into the gift volume.)
Ah, how to work with this A Noble Boke of Cokery.
Here are some tips:
First,
Read the extensive forward in the front of the
book where Richard explains about the text and unusual spellings and
things
like i for j, v for u, vv  instead of w, etc.

What the book is?

Fitch's A Noble Boke of Cokery is a compilation of recipes from
a number of sources.
The  secret or what you aren't being told is that the recipes appear
in other books or even on the web.
It would have
been nice had A Noble Boke of Cokery actually mentioned someplace
where these recipes came from, but no matter here's your cheat sheet.

The recipes on page 1- 7      are taken from the Pepys manuscript.
You can find it here:
http://godecookery.com/pepys/pepys.htm or in the hardcover book titled
Stere Htt Well which came out in 1972.

Page 8 starts the section taken from Harl. MS 279 which can be found
here:
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/cme/ or in the book Two Fifteenth-Century
Cookery Books.

Page 76 starts recipes taken from Harl. MS 4016 which can be found here
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/cme/ or in the book Two Fifteenth-Century
Cookery Books.

Page 125 begins the sauce recipes and those are found in Ashmole MS 1439
Again at:  http://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/cme/ or in the book Two
Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books.

The last two recipes come from the Laud MS 553
Again at:  http://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/cme/ or in the book Two
Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books.

The menu sections come also out of Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books.

What this means is when you can't figure out a word you can turn to
these sources
and check what the actual printed version from these sources says.
(For those that hate typing, you could of course just copy and print
the recipes over
from the online versions.) Also make use of the
index in the back of  A Noble Boke of Cokery where the titles are not
listed
in the black letter type.

If you get lost, you can of course google the recipe title (or menu
item) and part of the initial line and locate
versions on the web. Or search the recipes through Doc's every helpful
medieval cookery
online index. http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi/booksearch.pl
(Or you could search them through something called the Concordance of
English Recipes
which is a book that indexes 13th-15th English Recipes. Rather handy
if I do say so myself ;-) !)
Modern versions of many of these recipes abound. You can again try
googling the recipe
title, an ingredient or two, and perhaps add SCA and turn up many
worked out versions
that have been posted online.

It's worth remembering that Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books forms
the basis
for Cindy Renfrow's  now classic two volume set Take A Thousand Eggs
or More. If you don't already own that
set, you may want to purchase those books.http://www.thousandeggs.com/ttem.html
  Devra has copies.
Hope this help eliminate the confusion.