[Sca-cooks] How are our friends in New Zealand doing?

Antonia dama.antonia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 11:36:17 PDT 2010

  On 5/09/2010 4:49 a.m., Huette von Ahrens wrote:
> I just heard that New Zealand has suffered through a devastating earthquake.  I have seen lots of pictures of collapsed buildings.  How are you doing Antonia?  How are the rest of our SCA friends doing there?

First things first: WE'RE ALL SAFE!  There has been considerable damage
to property in the city, but no loss of life and very few serious
injuries.    We're all very shaken (literally!), but no SCAdians were
hurt beyond a few bruises as far as I know. We've had over 40
aftershocks of magnitudes up to 5.4, which is extremely unnerving.
Power has been restored to most of the city, and they're working on the
water and sewer problems.  Some SCAdians' houses were damaged, but as
far as I know, not seriously-- just collapsed chimneys, broken pipes,
smashed crockery and the like.  I think we were very lucky that the
quake happened when it did (4:30am), as most people were off the streets
and in the relative safety of their homes.

I'm fine, apart from strung out and exhausted (only a couple of hours
sleep Friday night), but nothing damaged and no injuries-- just one very
unsettled cat.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,