[Sca-cooks] apple fritters at Pennsic

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Sep 5 15:09:33 PDT 2010

These are rather fun to look up. In this recipe, the apples are pared
and cut thinly.

Frutours. Take yolkes of egges, drawe hem thorgh a streynour, caste
there-to faire floure, berme and ale; stere it togidre til hit be
thik. Take pared appelles, cut hem thyn like obleies, (Note:
sacramental wafers) ley hem in the batur; then put hem into a ffrying
pan, and fry hem in faire grece or buttur til thei ben browne yelowe;
then put hem in disshes, and strawe Sugur on hem ynogh, And serue hem
forthe. Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books

Here's a good instructive text: "and than take fayre Applys, and kut
hem in maner of Fretourys" so I guess one must know what one is doing
before one attempts the making.

liiij - Fretoure. Take whete floure, Ale 3est, Safroun, and Salt, and
bete alle to-gederys as thikke as thou schuldyst make other bature in
fleyssche tyme; and than take fayre Applys, and kut hem in maner of
Fretourys, and wete hem in the bature vp on downne, and frye hem in
fayre Oyle, and caste hem in a dyssche; and caste Sugre ther-on, and
serue forth.  Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books

 From the 17th century

To make Fritters.
Make your Batter with Ale, and Eggs, and Yest, season it with Milk,
Cloves, Mace, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Salt, cut your Apples like Beanes,
then put your Apples and Butter together, fry them in boyling Lard,
strew on Sugar, and serve them.

There's also this fried apple treat.

To fry Applepies,
Take Apples and pare them, and chop them very small, beat in a little
Cinnamon, a little Ginger, and some Sugar, a little Rosewater, take
your paste, roul it thin, and make them up as big Pasties as you
please, to hold a spoonful or a little lesse of your Apples, and so
stir them with Butter not to hastily least they be burned.

Kent, Elizabeth Grey, Countess of, 1581-1651.A choice manual of rare
and select secrets 1653

To make Fritters.
Make your Batter with Ale, and Eggs, and Yest, season it with Milk,
Cloves, Mace, Cinnamon, Nut|meg, and Salt, cut your Apples like
Beanes, then put your Apples and Butter together, fry them in boyl|ing
Lard, strew on Sugar, and serve them.

Kent, Elizabeth Grey, Countess of, 1581-1651.A true gentlewomans
delight. 1653.

There are a number of others.

Johnnae

On Sep 2, 2010, at 12:14 PM, David Friedman asked: