[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium files for September

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Sep 5 21:31:21 PDT 2010

Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for September detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.

If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this monthly article for your print newsletter several weeks before I post it to the mail lists, please contact me. If you publish a webpage, whether for yourself or your group, I would appreciate a link to the Florilegium or to any of the sections of files within it. The easier it for people to find the Florilegium, the more folks can make use of it.  For some reason many folks seem to have a problem remembering how to spell the name of the site. :-)

If you would like a quick and easy way to know when any files have been updated or a new file has been added to the Florilegium, then subscribe to the Florilegium RSS feed. Most of the modern browsers now support this feature. If you do use this service, I'd appreciate a quick email letting me know. It takes a fair amount of time to create these and I have no way of knowing whether this feature is being used or not.

Thank you to all who took a look at the ads when you visited the Florilegium and picked on one or two.  The Florilegium is completely supported by the ads that merchants are willing to run, along with a few donations. Usually I get only a few ad clicks a day but I noticed an abrupt increase for a few days after this monthly article was sent to the lists, and I assume it is from folks checking the new and updated files after seeing them in this monthly article and clicking on a few ads. Thank you.

Thanks,
Stefan
---------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past twenty years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in A&S papers.

The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two each time you are there.

     THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the EQUESTRIAN section:
   Hors-Training-art   "SCA Equestrian Training Tips" by Lady Lyonet Lamoureux.
In the FEAST-REVIEWS section:
   11tC-Scot-fst-art   Recipes f. Coron. Feast for Siredean and Sile
                          of Calontir by THL Suzanne de la Ferté.
In the FOOD section:
   pea-soup-msg        Period pea soups. Recipes.
   sapa-msg            Concentrated grape juice. Also called saba,
                          sabba. Often used in Italian cooking.
In the FOOD-DAIRY section:
   Cheese-Histry-art   "Cheeses, A History" by Mistress Marcia of
                          Jarrow Motte.
In the PERIOD-THOUGHT section:
   Chaucer-Engsh-art   "Chaucer - The Triumph of English" by Dafydd
                          of the Glens OL.
   Folk-Tales-MM-art   "Folk Tales as insight into the Medieval Mind"
                          by THL EllaAnne de Kari.
In the SCA-STORIES section:
   Gleann-A-hist-msg   Histories of the Kingdom of Gleann-Abhann.
   placenames3-msg     Origins and meanings of SCA placenames. Pt. 3
In the TIME section:
   Dptych-Sndial-art   "A Diptych Sundial" By H.L. Morgaine Essex And
                          H.L. Hucbald ap Urp.

Here are some of the updated files for this month:
   beads-msg           Necklaces, beads.
   butter-msg          Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.
   coopering-msg       Making and maintaining barrels and kegs.
   dogs-msg            Dogs. Barding for dogs. dog collars.
   fd-Italy-msg        Period Italian food. Cookbooks.
   fd-Turkey-msg       Medieval Turkish food. References. Recipes.
   marzipan-msg        Use of marzipan (almond paste) in sotelties.
   organ-meats-msg     Period cooking of organ meats.
   pasta-msg           Period pasta. Period references. Recipes.
   placenames2-msg     More origins and meanings of SCA placenames.
   polenta-msg         Period polenta. Wheat and maize polenta.
   seafood-msg         Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
   vinegar-msg         Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
   wine-msg            Medieval wines.
---
Copyright 2010, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

<end>
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com