[Sca-cooks] serving fresh fruit (in Spain)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 20:26:43 PDT 2010

The "Arte de Cortar" (1423 Spanish carving manual) gives instructions
for how to carve various fruits at table.  In the case of apples and
pears, it's quite clear the author means uncooked fruit, because a few
paragraphs later he says if they are served cooked (cochas) they
should be carved in this other way.  Since Enrique de Villena was a
nobleman writing about table service in the royal court, I think it's
safe to say that some raw fruit was eaten at noble banquets.

One section amused me.  Peaches are to be held on a three-point fork
for carving.  The skin is removed with a small knife, and then the
flesh is cut into slices.  The slices are placed with a two-point fork
into wine, because that's a healthy way to eat peach.  What remains --
the pit with some remnants of flesh -- is to be cast into the basin
for bones, because it's ugly to look at.

Brighid ni Chiarain