[Sca-cooks] Leftovers, questions and discussion [long]

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Wed Sep 8 04:50:29 PDT 2010

--- On Tue, 9/7/10, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

> From: Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Leftovers, questions and discussion [long]
> To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
> Date: Tuesday, September 7, 2010, 5:31 PM
> Now as to peasant diets and
> leftovers, I am afraid I see this as two questions.
>

> So the term is 19th century.
> ---
> They may have dined on the remains of a previous meal, but
> they didn't dine on a left-over.

I remember reading somewhere (in a book about period cookery, not some
random place, but I cannot remember where) that the lower classes would
basically put all their food in one pot (vegetables, grain, bacon etc) and
boil it up, and then the next day just add some more to whatever was left
over and so on and so on. The 'pease porridge in a pot nine days old' rhyme
was quoted in support of this. This seemed rather dubious to me at the time,
not to mention a recipe for serious food poisoning.

Angharad