[Sca-cooks] Pork chops (OOP)

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Sep 8 04:51:31 PDT 2010

Pork can be really simple.
from Le Viandier de Taillevent
(France, ca. 1380 - James Prescott, trans.)
The original source can be found at James Prescott's website

Roast pork. Eaten with verjuice. Some make a sauce (to wit, add
garlic, onions, wine and verjuice to the roast drippings in the pan).
In a pie; eaten with verjuice.

Verjuice and drippings is somewhat akin to a vinegar BBQ sauce and we
know those are still appreciated and eaten.

More involved are the instructions for smoked pork

from Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin
(Germany, 16th century - V. Armstrong, trans.)
The original source can be found at David Friedman's website

58 To make smoked pork. Take a quarter of a pig and salt it especially
well, so that it is entirely white with salt, and let the salt
dissolve in a cellar. And when it is dissolved, then skim off the
water and pour it over again, do that two or three times a day, and
when it has laid in salt for four weeks, hang it up and smoke it
fairly slowly, until it becomes thoroughly dry and fairly hard. Let it
hang in the smoke for eight days, after which hang it in a chamber
into which air comes. It keeps for the entire year.

I've done corned pork which is a salted pork in brine rather like
corned beef and I've done smoked pork where we smoked pieces of pork
roasts in a smoker for several hours. I've never smoked the meat until
hard, but then again keeping it for a year wasn't the point.

Johnnae