[Sca-cooks] Leftovers, questions and discussion [long]

Daniel Myers dmyers at medievalcookery.com
Wed Sep 8 07:25:47 PDT 2010

The bit about the nursery rhyme being a reference to medieval cooking
practices is all over the internet, and probably in various books as
well.  As far as I can tell, it's total bunk.

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the word "porridge" did not
come into use until the 17th century.

There's a nice debunking of the "Life in the 1500s" factiod email (which
mentions this meme) at the link below.  The author is a bit defensive -
apparently he saw the email as being anti-catholic - but his facts and
reasoning are sound.

http://www.traditioninaction.org/History/A_005_Myths1500s.shtml

- Doc