[Sca-cooks] Leftovers, questions and discussion [long]

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Sep 9 14:33:47 PDT 2010

A number of books and papers deal with this topic of markets, trade,
pricing, adulteration and the sale of "off meats", bad pies, watered
down ale and wine, and underweight bread. [Described by one source as
"Early Regulation of Sale,— In the middle ages bakers were subjected
to special regulations in all European lands. ... in the interests of
bread consumers, and no doubt were intended to secure fair dealing on
the part of bread vendors.]

They range from volumes that might be in a local public library to
academic works found on university shelves. Some are available on
Google Books. Most are not.

For example

See page 65 in Food in medieval times  By Melitta Weiss Adamson
The chapter on cleaning in Daily life in the Middle Ages  By Paul B.
Newman

Medieval Italy: texts in translation  By Katherine Ludwig Jansen,
Joanna H. Drell, Frances Andrews contains chapters on oil vending and
grocers in 1318 Florence.

More comprehensive: chapters in The Cambridge Economic History of
Europe: The agrarian life of the Middle Ages  By Michael Moïssey Postan

Both the presses at Cambridge and Oxford have issued numerous
encyclopedias on economics, the law, agriculture, history of the
Medieval period, history of various countries etc that will contain
relevant sections. Again reference volumes at university libraries.

Once you finish with the books, the papers can be searched through
Article First and found. Oh and there should be dissertations.... A
project to occupy several weeks anyway.

Johnna (playing librarian yet again)

Morgana asked: