[Sca-cooks] candying citron

devra at aol.com devra at aol.com
Sun Sep 12 09:29:06 PDT 2010

We are approaching Sukkah, the Jewish fall harvest festival, when they sell beautiful unblemished esrog (etrog) or citrons to use in the ceremonies.  My late landlord, a rabbi, said that it was proper, indeed praised, to use the fruit to eat after the holiday.

Every year I say that I will buy one and get my roommie to candy it.  And every year I forget until it's too late.

My roomie does a wonderful watermelon pickle.  Would this be an approapriate treatment for a citron? Naturally she cuts up the watermelon rind, but I once saw half-citrons offered in a store.  (Of course you have to cut the citron up to use it in plump pud etc) but I just wondered if you people had any information or opinions to offer on this.

Devra, a lurker (who also sells cookbooks)