[Sca-cooks] Recipes and notes from Nimatnama feast

Jim and Andi Houston jimandandi at cox.net
Sun Sep 12 17:12:55 PDT 2010

I have posted all of the recipes from the Nimatnama feast on my webpage.
Some are for small/test amounts and some are for the full 160 for the feast.
I will add the numbers from the actual manuscript as I am able.

Stating up front: these recipes are LOOSELY redacted in many cases from the
manuscript. I had to tone down much of the spicing for the palates of my
feasters, especially the asafetida. Several dishes were interpreted in such
a way as to introduce the feasters to new flavors or textures in
recognizable ways. If anyone has questions about a specific recipe I'm glad
to share my reasons.

http://madhavifeast.wordpress.com/recipes/

This was my most ambitious feast yet. We had 18 servers dressed in specific
Indian outfits. The hall was decorated to a degree possibly previously
unseen in the kingdom. I had a full back of the house crew, platers, and
then a full front of the house crew with three leaders (head server, hall
steward, and entertainment coordinator). This worked well, everyone had
their own areas of responsibility with little conflict. We served 10
separate courses with 6 short performances in one hour and 45 minutes.

I loved doing this and I'm so glad it's over.

Madhavi