[Sca-cooks] A horse for a peppercorn-Explanation of a Food Myth

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Sep 13 05:30:28 PDT 2010

OED includes these meanings
noun

b. Stipulated as the amount required in payment of a nominal rent or a
quit-rent. Also (occas.): a property carrying a rent of this kind.
   Still common in legal use, in the drawing up of leases.

[1470 in J. Fullarton Rec. Burgh Prestwick (1834) 9 For the quhilk he
acht erli..gef it be askit thre pepir cornis in annuele.]
   1607 S. HIERON Serm. 2 Tim. iv. 7 in Wks. I. 221 Some great man,
out of his bounty, giueth thee an inheritance of some pounds by the
yeare; thou must pay a pepper corne for thy rent. 1669 in Rec. Early
Hist. Boston (1881) VII. 50 He payeinge a pepper corne to the said
Treasurer upon demand for ever on the said 29th September.

c. fig. A thing of very small value or importance; a token, a trifling
amount.

1638 J. CLARKE Phraseologia Puerilis 333 This peppercorn of
acknowledgement.

B. adj.

     1. Of the size or value of a peppercorn; very small,
insignificant, trifling.

1791 J. WOLCOT Remonstrance 7 Not pepper-corn acknowledgment I owe 'em.

It still turns up in British common usage.
C2. peppercorn rent n. a rent of a peppercorn, a nominal rent (see
sense A. 1b); also fig.

1844 Tait's Mag. Dec. 755/2 Church roofs new slated, at the cost and
charge of the people who do not go to church:and they call that paying
a *peppercorn rent to God.
   1910 Encycl. Brit. I. 107/1 Burlington House..was granted to the
Academy for 999 years at a peppercorn rent.
   2003 Evening News (Edinburgh) (Nexis) 19 May 17 The
centre..currently pays the council a peppercorn rent to use the former
high school.

It's also explained as
peppercorn rent   A nominal rent. In theory one peppercorn (or some
other nominal sum) is payable as a rent to indicate that a property is
leasehold and not freehold, the peppercorn representing the
consideration. In practice it amounts to a rent-free lease.

"peppercorn rent"  A Dictionary of Business and Management. Ed.
Jonathan Law. Oxford University Press, 2009.

I would say you hit the nail on the head.

Johnnae

On Sep 13, 2010, at 4:02 AM, David Friedman wrote:snipped Mistress
Geraldine, snipped The SCA page of her site contains the following
assertion about the recipes on her site: